About the Role
Community Engagement Officer -Environment
Project Manager (Environment)
Green Champion and Climate Action Group Volunteers
£13,000 per annum (based on £26,000 full time equivalent)
20 hours per week
Swansea BMHS Hub and Swansea Communities
1-year fixed term contract with a possible extension of 2 years depending on further funding.
We are looking for two dynamic, motivated individuals who have the skills, knowledge, and experience required for the role of Community Engagement Officer (Environment).
This position is well suited to individuals who are interested in working with environmental sustainability and/or community development and are looking to develop skills in a friendly, professional, collaborative, and supportive environment.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The post holders will lead on the positive engagement of a range of local minority ethnic and other socially disadvantaged people and the delivery of environmental activities in the Swansea area with the support of the local community. This includes the planning and delivery of an engagement program that will comprise a range of heritage, climate, and environment workshops, visits, and events aimed to raise awareness of Welsh heritage, climate change, climate resilience, community, and small-space gardening.
If you enjoy variety and you love working with people, this is the role for you! You don’t need a wealth of knowledge of the environment to do this job. However, we do need you to be passionate and enthusiastic about doing what you can to help generate welcoming, healthy environments that bring people together to learn and grow.
You’ll be part of our mission to inspire and empower people to help create a world that is richer in nature and heritage where communities are thriving for the benefit of everyone.
What we need from you
The Community Engagement Officers will lead the following activities:
• Implementing a program of activities that raise awareness and understanding of the environment, climate change, Welsh heritage, and Community Gardens around Swansea,
• Developing and managing a regular group of Community Outreach Green Champion Volunteers and Climate Action Volunteers for BMHS. Postholders will be responsible for their recruitment, supervision, mentoring, and development.
• Building relationships with local community groups and developing opportunities to engage those groups with nature in ways that work for them.
• Facilitating partnerships to support long-term community engagement with nature.
• Working with others to develop the long-term social outcomes, stakeholder engagement plan, and communications plan for the Green Spaces and Wellbeing project.
We are looking for somebody with:
Essential skills, knowledge, and experience
• Community engagement experience – organising and delivering consultations or events for the public.
• Basic knowledge of and enthusiasm for environmental sustainability and the challenges climate change brings to Swansea (sufficient to be able to lead public engagement activities in a credible way).
• Computer literacy – working knowledge of G-Suite and/or Microsoft 365, and transferable skills for the use of other online packages.
• Interpersonal skills, including the ability to engage with a wide range of people face-to-face.
• Geographical knowledge of Swansea.
• Good level of written and spoken English
• Good general physical health and the ability to go across different environmental terrains for actions and activities.
• Ability to enthuse and motivate themselves and others.
Desirable skills, knowledge, and experience
• Volunteer management experience
• Ability to drive/access remote locations in the Swansea area.
• Partnership working.
• Presentation Skills
• Welsh language skills
This is a Fixed-Term contract until 31 January 2024 working part-time (20 hours per week).
There is a possibility of the role extending a further 2 years on successful project outcomes leading to new funding.
This role may involve evening and weekend work.
What else do you need to know?
• BMHS reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
• Candidates must have the right to work for 20 hours in the UK.
• The role may be on a hybrid working model of office, community, and home working.
• Due to the role having line management responsibilities and contact with children, young people, and vulnerable adults an enhanced Criminal Record Check will be required.
• The post holders will be expected to regularly travel around the Swansea area in connection with their role.
• BMHS is deeply committed to equality, diversity, and inclusivity, so we look forward to hearing from anyone who feels this role might be what they have been looking for.
To download the Role Description/Person Specifications
If you would like an informal chat, please contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
We are aiming to Interview weeks commencing 6th Feb 2023.
In return we offer you a range of fantastic benefits including:
· Enhanced Annual Leave entitlement
· Robust Learning and Development Programme
About the Company
BAME Mental Health Support (BMHS) is a social enterprise dedicated to the improvement of mental health outcomes and life experiences of minority ethnic and other socially disadvantaged people.